camel-users mailing list archives

From Ralf Claussnitzer <ralf.claussnit...@slub-dresden.de>
Subject Re: [FEEDBACK] - Apache Camel 3 - camel-core vs camel-core-lite vs camel-core-all
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2019 07:46:05 GMT
Well, I would expect the core to include all the core modules. So
"camel-core" should deliver on this. If there is need for a "smaller
core", than the "bigger core" should have it as a dependency. This leads
to awkward naming, because we have now got a "core core". For this "core
core" I would go with the naming "camel-base" or "camel-runtime".

-Ralf

On 3/6/19 4:01 AM, Quinn Stevenson wrote:
> I’d prefer to have camel-core act like 2.x as well to minimize surprises as much as
possible when upgrading.

> Maybe the new “lite” module could be called something like “camel-engine”?
>

>> On Mar 5, 2019, at 7:49 AM, Steve Huston <shuston@riverace.com> wrote:
>>
>> My assumption is that camel-core (all in one) doesn't have any negative affect on
Camel itself and that breaking it up is motivated by a benefit to those projects that want
to reduce size.

>> If that is true, then I recommend leaving camel-core as it is in 2.x - that reduces
surprises to all users and prevents a huge bunch of "hey, you broke my app in 3.0" emails
to the list. Those applications that want to reduce size can make some simple dependency changes.

>> As a more personal preference, please don't call anything "-lite" - it is way overused
and smacks of "cheap, crappy alternative to the real one." Call it camel-base or camel-minimal.