camel-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject [FEEDBACK] - Apache Camel 3 - camel-core vs camel-core-lite vs camel-core-all
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 08:49:24 GMT
Hi

As you may know Apache Camel 3 development is underway, and part of
the work is to modularize camel-core into smaller modules, where the
major work has been done for the M1 release. This means that 95% of
the core components from camel-core has been moved out, eg camel-log,
camel-seda, camel-direct etc.

Now we want to have a camel-core dependency that are tiny and would
like feedback on different styles

1)
Keep camel-core dependency as in Camel 2.x which has dependency on all
the core components (known as camel-core-all) AND introduce a new
camel-core-lite that has minimal dependencies so you can pick and
choose only the dependencies you need.

2)
Keep camel-core as a lite dependency and introduce a new
camel-core-all that has all the core components and is similar to
camel 2.x. This means that users would need to migrate from using
camel-core => camel-core-all OR add only the extra core components
they use, eg camel-direct, camel-seda, etc.

3)
Do #1 and move towards #2 in the future.

We can add a new camel-core-all dependency that has all the core
components etc, and then let camel-core depend on this dependency. And
then we can also add the camel-core-lite module as well. Then if we
one day switch camel-core from the ALL to the LITE style, we can do
that out of the box, for example for Camel 4 ;)

Note: One issue with the name camel-core-all is that it smells like it
has all the core modules, but it will not include camel-core-osgi or
camel-core-xml as they are only needed when you add camel-spring or
camel-blueprint (for XML and/or OSGi support).

Well just thinking out loud a bit, here in the morning after a couple
of cup of coffees.

Any thoughts and feedback is much welcome.

--
Claus Ibsen