chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Rabkin <asrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Making HBaseWriter default
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:50:56 GMT
I agree with Bill and Deshpande that we ought to make clear to users
that they don't nee HICC, and therefore don't need either MySQL or
HBase.

But I think what Eric meant to ask was which of MySQL and HBase ought
to be the default *for HICC*.  My sense is that the HBase support
isn't quite mature enough, but it's getting there.

I think HBase is ultimately the way to go. I think we might benefit as
a community by doing a 0.5 release first, while waiting for the
pig-based aggregation support that's blocking HBase.

--Ari

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Deshpande, Deepak
<ddeshpande@verisign.com> wrote:
> I agree. Making HBase by default would make some Chukwa users life difficult. In my set
up, I don't need HDFS. I am using Chukwa merely as a Log Streaming framework. I have plugged
in my own writer to write log files in Local File system (instead of HDFS). I evaluated Chukwa
with other frameworks and Chukwa had very good fault tolerance built in than other frameworks.
This made me recommend Chukwa over other frameworks.

--
Ari Rabkin asrabkin@gmail.com
UC Berkeley Computer Science Department