chukwa-user mailing list archives

From Ariel Rabkin <asrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Chukwa as monitoring tool.
Date Sun, 26 Dec 2010 18:35:20 GMT
16 GB isn't a hard limit, just a suggestion. And that's based on the
assumption that you have a big cluster and are collecting a lot of
data and using the older MySQL based infrastructure.

  How much memory you need depends on what volume of data you're
collecting and what you're doing with it. How do you intend to store
the data and how will you be visualizing it?

--Ari

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Akshay Kumar <kumar.akshay@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks,
> In my setup, I can not afford ( as of now) to have a machine with 16GB
> memory.
> So that means, I can not deploy Chukwa as a monitoring solution ?  I do not
> intend to do any log analysis / collection for now - just simple OS and
> hadoop metrics.
>
> I mean, I do not understand why would one have 16GB has hard limit for
> minimal functioning too.
> I imagine it should be for a high performance system and not bare-bones
> structure. What am I missing here?
>
> -Akshay
>
> On 26 December 2010 23:38, Ariel Rabkin <asrabkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes.  That 16 GB number is for the HICC server, not for the collection
>> side. And even then, it's if you have a lot of data (a whole cluster's
>> worth) living in a MySQL database with a web application serving the
>> data.
>>
>> The monitoring agent and the collector are both fairly small-footprint.
>>
>> --Ari
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Akshay Kumar <kumar.akshay@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > Thanks for the responses. A bit late to check this one.
>> > I have one more query -
>> > In the Chukwa administration guide:
>> > http://people.apache.org/~eyang/docs/r0.1.2/admin.html
>> > It says
>> > Chukwa can also be installed on a single node, in which case the machine
>> > must have at least 16 GB of memory.
>> >
>> > Q) For my usecase ( for monitoring system metrics) - is it safe to
>> > assume it
>> > is not going to be that big a requirement for memory?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Akshay

OS