chukwa-user mailing list archives

From "T. A. Smooth" <catdaaa...@gmail.com>
Subject Agent and collector
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:04:36 GMT
Hello I am checking out Chukwa. I have a few questions I was hoping the mail
list could answer :-)

1)Does Chukwa agents communicate to collectors over http? Or some other
protocol?

The agent configuration makes me believe that:
http://incubator.apache.org/chukwa/docs/r0.4.0/admin.html#Configuration

2) And the docs it seems an Agent will pick a collector at random and then
use that collect until there is a problem in communicating with it. How do
you think the agent/collector would act if they have a load balancer between
them? For example, the agent configuration would have just one url
http://collector-loadbalancer. example.com:8080/

The load balancer would have 1 or more collectors behind it saving the
chunks it receives to disk or hadoop.

3) Does chukwa have any “end-to-end” reliability features for message
delivery? For example, a collector may receive the chunk from the agent but
it may have a problem writing it to the data store. (ie. Disk space full,
connection to hadoop down) . Will the agent be notified that the chunk was
not processed for a certain reason and the agent is told to cache to disk
the missed message?

Thanks for the info!

-tp-