cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Shanker Balan <shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: cloud-set-guest-password script for ArchLinux?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:03:23 GMT
On 01-Oct-2013, at 1:42 PM, Kirk Kosinski <kirkkosinski@gmail.com> wrote:

> For dhcpcd, update the script to use the following instead of checking
> lease files:
>
> PASSWORD_SERVER_IP=$(dhcpcd -U eth0 | grep dhcp_server_identifier | cut
> -f2 -d=)

Sweet. Thanks for the hint, saved me tons of R&D time. :)

I'll publish cloud-set-guest-* scripts for Arch Linux shortly.

> This is similar to the change required to use pump.
>
> PASSWORD_SERVER_IP=$(pump --status | grep 'Boot server' | awk '{print $3}')
>
> dhcpcd is also the default(-ish) DHCP client for Gentoo.  pump used to
> be the default for Ubuntu and in some cases works better than the
> default dhclient.

Its amazing how many different DHCP clients exists out there. :-\

Thanks.
@shankerbalan

> Best regards,
> Kirk
>
> On 09/30/2013 11:51 PM, Shanker Balan wrote:
>> On 27-Sep-2013, at 12:22 PM, Kirk Kosinski <kirkkosinski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, did you try any of the existing scripts?  One or more of them will
>>> probably work as-is or with minor modifications.  The primary
>>> requirement is to use a compatible DHCP client like the ISC DHCP client
>>> (dhclient).
>>
>> Hi Indra,
>>
>> I took ArchLinux for a spin earlier today and noticed that the default DHCP client
is "dhcpcd" which maintains the lease file in a binary format.

>> Our choices:
>>
>> 1) See if we can move from dhcpcd to ISC DHCP or
>> 2) Dump the lease file contents and update the cloud-set-guest-password script.
>>
>> Arch Linux uses systemd instead of the traditional sysinit. The script will need
>> an overhaul to support systemd also.
>>
>> [root@ARCH1 var]# cat /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-eth0.lease
>> @=>?
>> ?
>> kc?Sc56
>> 3???????
>> ?
>> ARCH1
>>
>> [root@ARCH1 var]# pacman -Qi dhcpcd
>> Name           : dhcpcd
>> Version        : 6.0.5-1
>> Description    : RFC2131 compliant DHCP client daemon
>> Architecture   : x86_64
>> URL            : http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/
>> Licenses       : BSD
>> Groups         : base
>> Provides       : dhcp-client
>> Depends On     : glibc  sh
>> Optional Deps  : None
>> Required By    : None
>> Optional For   : netctl
>> Conflicts With : None
>> Replaces       : None
>> Installed Size : 285.00 KiB
>> Packager       : Dave Reisner <dreisner@archlinux.org>
>> Build Date     : Sat Aug 3 20:50:18 2013
>> Install Date   : Tue Oct 1 10:25:13 2013
>> Install Reason : Explicitly installed
>> Install Script : No
>> Validated By   : Signature
>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Kirk

>> --
>> @shankerbalan
>>
>> M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
>> shanker.balan@shapeblue.com | www.shapeblue.com | Twitter:@shapeblue
>> ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore
- 560 055

>> CloudStack Bootcamp Training on 18/19 September, Bangalore
>> http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/

incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered
trademark.