cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting from scratch using cloudstack
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:43:09 GMT
Hi Ian

Welcome to ACS mailing list.

The reason not many folks are responding to your thread because its open
ended with no simple answer and too many dependencies.

For example, i run 2 virtual data centers in 1 single server.

I have a 1 host with 2x10CPUs and 256GB of RAM. On that single host i
run 12 VMware hypervisors, 2 vcenters , 2 cloudstack managements hosts,
plus about 10 auxilary vms.  On the nested hypervisorsi have deployed
about 80 VMs mostly idle. Needless to say i dont expect any perfomance
workload from these guest VMs as they are running on nested hypervisors
- but they function good enough for QA work.

You initial configuration is more than sufficient, but like Shanker
mentioned, start slow and see where it takes you. At the end it comes
down to your hypervisor technology and workload not CloudStack.
CloudStack itself can handle couple of hundred VMs with minimum
2vCPUx4GB RAM. If you plan to run thousands, then you may want  to be
more generous on your sources.

There are many videos and tutorial posted online on how to setup what
you are trying to do. The getting started docs are also fairly descriptive.

Regards
ilya

On 7/1/14, 7:15 PM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> I am starting from scratch as a new user of CloudStack 4.3.
>
> I was reviewing the documentation on version 4.3 and I am looking for a recommended configuration
of the servers. The link to the Architecture Deployment, http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest/choosing_deployment_architecture.html
is nice to look at but I wasn't sure if the physical servers had 1,2,or more network cards.
  I have six fairly new Dell R210 servers with quad processors and two Nic's.  Memory low
but will be upgraded.  Is this usable.  Initially I plan to use Centos/KVM as the host for
the VM's.