cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com>
Subject Re: XenServer
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:33:14 GMT
Andrija,

Also, I might add that the snapshotting should not take a long time, like what's currently
happening with KVM. It takes absolutely ages for the snapshot to complete while the image
is being copied from primary to secondary storage. If you have a bunch of volumes you want
to snapshot, they just take up all the queue and eventually timeout. Try taking a snapshot
of about 50+ volumes at the same time, which is not very uncommon for a medium infrastructure,
let alone a large cloud. Things will get broken pretty quickly.

Even if you are using ceph storage with the built in capabilities for doing rbd snapshotting,
this mechanism is still somewhat broken and buggy. For instance, it would be nice to have
a working ability to keep the snapshots on the primary storage to remove this time consuming
primary-secondary storage coping, but this feature has been broken for about a year already
with no prospects of being fixed as far as I can tell.

So, as it stands at the moment, looking from the customer perspective, the snapshotting is
broken with KVM and needs to be addressed asap. Not really sure why this is not a priority
for the dev team? It seems that the team is pushing those fancy features into the new releases
without concentrating on the basics of what the clients want. Very frustrating for the clients
(((

Andrei