cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrija Panic <andrija.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enquiry on Citrix XenServer Installation for Cloudstack
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2014 08:15:18 GMT
Hello In Huishan,

yes, should be same or similar - if you have Xeon E5-2620, and on the other
you have Xeon E5-2650 - there is no much difference if at all, so these
might fit into 1 cluster. You need to be aware that the liver migration
functionality is cluster wide - so VM can be migrated between hosts only
inside 1 cluster.
Thah being said - it also depends what model of CPU do you expose to your
guest...
If you try to migrate an instance within the cluster, from one host with
Intel to other host with AMD - it will probably fail - so you put your
Intel hosts in 1 cluster, and AMD hosts in other, just as example.
Check the
http://cloudstack-installation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/hypervisor/kvm.html#install-and-configure-the-agent
for CPU model, as this also might be usefull for you to understand cluster
placement..

btw, I have somewhat newer Xeon E5-2620 hosts and older E5xxx hosts in the
same cluster, but I do not expose CPU model specific flags to VMs (just
expose "qemu" CPU inside VM), so the live migration still works...

--

Andrija Panić