cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Cristian Ciobanu" <cristia...@istream.today>
Subject Re: CloudStack Network configuration
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:05:21 GMT
Thanks for the info. i started with the basic networking.

I have a question regarding templates, where can i find some ready templates for CS (KVM)?
for most used distro.

Regards,
Cristian

On 9/4/2015 11:23:09 AM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
Hello Cristian,

I have investigated possibility to host CS infrastructure on OVH around
year ago and here are my notices:

* Using vRack is possible with certain product ranges, and Enterprise
line does not have it. You will stick to Infrastructure and Storage
dedicated server lines and thus CPU/RAM resources will be really
limited.
* vRack technology allows to combine servers into one network using
dedicated NIC and OVH management software to assign VLAN numbers to your
sub-nets. You have no control over this top-level switch, except
web-interface. More about it here: https://www.ovh.ie/solutions/vrack/
[6]
* You have no option to separate physically your storage traffic.
1Gbps interface for everything may not be enough.
* You have no backup-up interfaces. If one NIC is down - entire cloud
may be down.
* Since you don't have network switch under your control, you can't
really build advanced cloud network using ACS and OVH vRack. One option
is to use one OVH server in vRack as virtual appliance and put, for
instance, VyOS. But then you need to think about VLANs-inside-VLAN and
everything over single 1Gbps interface. Complicated.
* Since you don't have network switch, you have to route all your
cloud traffic through single server. Our use OVH
https://www.ovh.ie/solutions/ip-load-balancing/ [7]
* There is also IP switching limitation. You can't really route you
public traffic between public interfaces. OVH does it for you. More
about it here: https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/free-ips.xml [8]. I
think your problem is here. You may try you use L2TP.

Regards,

Vadim.

> [...]
>
> On 9/3/2015 10:18:12 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> Both types will allow you to have public traffic, but in different
> ways.
>
> - Basic is the typical flat network, aka Amazon EC2, where each VM get
> its
> own public ipaddress.
> The downside is that the max size of your cloud is equal to your ip
> pool
> (minus a few to system vms).
>
> - Advanced is isolated in one way or another, the typical is VLAN but
> other
> options exist, where tenant networks are behind source nat. This
> drastically reduces the necessarity of public ips, but means you have
> deal with port forwarding and such. If you plan on using VLAN, the size
> of
> your cloud is limited by the number of VLANS available and the number
> of
> public IPs (each tenant use a minimum of one).
>
> --
> Erik
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Cristian Ciobanu
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> It's ok with Basic networking if this will allow me to have also
> "public traffic".
>
> Thanks.
> Cristian
>
> On 9/3/2015 10:02:36 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> Well, then there shouldn't be much OVH specific to think about.
>
> Are you planning to use Advanced or Basic networking?
>
> --
> Erik
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Cristian Ciobanu
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> No, this is not for vrack. ( MAC allocation is mandatory only on normal
> dedicated servers )
>
> Regards,
> Cristian
> www.istream.today [1] [http://www.istream.today/ [2]]
> www.shape.host [3] [http://www.shape.host/ [4]]
> +40.733.955.922
>
> On 9/3/2015 9:51:16 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> Before you put much work into this, you should verify with OVH that
> they'll allow other MAC-adresses on your switchport(s).
>
> Some hosting providers limit switchports to a set of pre-defined
> MAC-addresses, and that is going to be a pain in the ass to overcome.
>
> --
> Erik
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Cristian Ciobanu
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have some issue with the network, i'm not sure how to configure the
> public and private network to work on OVH in Vrack. because i have only
> this documentation from OVH and the documentation is only for for
> machine itself and for ESXI/Proxmox/xen :
> http://help.ovh.com/VrackInfrastructureServer# [5] (maybe somone can
> translate to for cloudstack (Cent-OS/KVM)
>
> The RIPE (Public IP's ) need to be bridged via eth1 also the private
IP (

>> but i don't find the solution also i need to do the right config on
>> the
>> management server )
>>
>> Can someone help me ?
>>
>> Thanks!