cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "NOC" <...@logicweb.com>
Subject New Initial HW Setup
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2016 12:27:11 GMT
Hello,

Looking to start up a virtualized setup using CloudStack and would like some
feedback / advice as I do some researching.

For starting off, was looking to do a single NODE instead of separate NODES
for CPU/RAM, Storage.

Example:

Dell R815

4 x Opteron 16-Core CPUs

256GB RAM

6 x 2TB SSD Drives

Perc H700 RAID

Centos 7 64 bit

Wouldn't that be sufficient enough to get going and just add more, similar
nodes down the road seamlessly for additional processing power and RAM?

One of my main confusion is how does the primary management server hosting
the CS panel, utilize processing power from external additional NODES? I
cannot understand how this happens and would appreciate some explanation.

>From my understanding, CS basically creates the equivalent of virtual
servers (VPS). So in essence, scaling up or down you can offer cloud hosting
(ie like shared hosting) and virtual servers. But, to sell equivalent of
standalone dedicated servers, how would that work? You cannot offer the
client KVM/IPMI, yet how does one prove if the server is virtualized or not,
on the client side? If I'm guaranteeing 500GB SSD storage, 4 CPU Cores and
32GB RAM he/she would have no way of knowing if it's cloud based or
standalone, am I right or wrong?

Thanks in advance for the tips.