cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Tim Mackey <tmac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Initial HW Setup
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2016 13:58:33 GMT
Good morning.

I think it's probably best to take a step back and define a couple of
things.

1. The management server is really a highly efficient cluster manager. It
runs external to the compute nodes.
2. A compute node contains CPU and RAM, has a network fabric, and may have
local storage. Compute nodes can be clustered based on the native
capabilities of the chosen hypervisor (e.g. XenServer uses the XAPI cluster
manager with its rules, while KVM is a collection hosts).
3. A compute node can be bare metal, but those rules are very different.

I used to present a hypervisor matrix, and here's my most recent deck:
http://www.slideshare.net/TimMackey/selecting-the-correct-hypervisor-for-cloudstack-45.
Much of whats in there will be relevant to you at this point.

Looking at your specific questions:

 - " *how does the primary management server hosting the CS panel, utilize
processing power from external additional NODES*". First you will configure
the management server with knowledge of the compute node. The management
server then understands the capacity of the compute node, and from there
you can do stuff like provision VMs. For example, if you've a template
which has a compute offering with 2vCPUs, 8GB RAM and two vNICs, that's how
the management server will setup the VM which will be based on the template
the user chooses.

- "*sell equivalent of **standalone dedicated servers, how would that work*".
If the goal is to provide an equivalent of a bare metal virtual server,
then things are much more involved from the user perspective (e.g. you need
to start with a predefined ISO). If the goal is to provide a VPS from a set
of predefined OS types, then that's easier - just upload a template for
each one. The user then selects which template they want and it gets
provisioned.

- "*If I'm guaranteeing 500GB SSD storage, 4 CPU Cores and **32GB RAM
he/she would have no way of knowing if it's cloud based or **standalone, am
I right or wrong*". It depends upon what you're guaranteeing. Within the
guest it would be easy to tell if you've 4 cores, 32 GB RAM and 500GB disk.
What would be hard to tell is if the vCPUs are dedicated or overloads, and
if the disk was SSD. As a user, I honestly care less about SSD than IOPs,
and there are ways to tell that.

btw, everywhere I mention "user selects" that could be a workflow you kick
off on behalf of the user. It's entirely possible to provide only guest VM
access via SSH if you don't want users to have access to the CloudStack
management console.

Hope this helps some, and if I've misspoken something, I'm certain others
will set me right!

-tim