cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gregor.Ri...@swisstxt.ch>
Subject Re: Limit network speed in per VM basis
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:18:49 GMT
Thanks for the clarification, Andrija.

We're mostly using ESX here, but I do think it will work similarly, with the limit being applied
to the vNIC.
________________________________
From: Andrija Panic <andrija.panic@gmail.com>
Sent: 22 November 2019 16:32
To: Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT) <Gregor.Riepl@swisstxt.ch>
Cc: users <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Limit network speed in per VM basis

Setting Network rate on the Compute Offering (or simply inherit the global setting and NOT
explicitly set it on offering) will simply throttle the vnet (vNIC) speed of the VM's interface.
This is done with "tc qdisc...." on linux (KVM) host.

For the VR, what I do know (at least for KVM...) is that whatever is the network rate applied
to the Public NIC of the VR, that same network rate is applied to all other NICs of the VR.
This is also done via network rate set on the Service Offering for VR (or simply inheriting
the global values)
So, it's not possible to have i.e. 100 Mbps link to internet, while having 1000 Mbps routing
between internal networks (talking about isolated/vpc networks) Again, this is for KVM specifically.
I haven't tested this thoroughly with Vmware/XS so far, network throttling is implemented
differently there (on the network/vSwitch level)

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 15:28, Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT) <Gregor.Riepl@swisstxt.ch<mailto:Gregor.Riepl@swisstxt.ch>>