cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrija Panic <andrija.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Limit network speed in per VM basis
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:32:30 GMT
Setting Network rate on the Compute Offering (or simply inherit the global
setting and NOT explicitly set it on offering) will simply throttle the
vnet (vNIC) speed of the VM's interface. This is done with "tc qdisc...."
on linux (KVM) host.

For the VR, what I do know (at least for KVM...) is that whatever is the
network rate applied to the Public NIC of the VR, that same network rate is
applied to all other NICs of the VR. This is also done via network rate set
on the Service Offering for VR (or simply inheriting the global values)
So, it's not possible to have i.e. 100 Mbps link to internet, while having
1000 Mbps routing between internal networks (talking about isolated/vpc
networks) Again, this is for KVM specifically. I haven't tested this
thoroughly with Vmware/XS so far, network throttling is
implemented differently there (on the network/vSwitch level)

--

Andrija Panić