cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Sven Vogel <S.Vo...@ewerk.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] New default template
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2020 20:20:39 GMT
My small additions.

I would go with an LTS version.

For me it would be CentOS 8 minimal. I agree with Paul sometimes the upstream repo are gone
or in archive state and its not for production use. Maybe we can put one of them to „our“
Cloudstack repo. If we use Ubuntu or CentOS is not so important both are LTS versions.

Maybe we should find a regular way after some time to switch to a newer one. So there is no
productive use and normally everybody should know that he don’t use this in a production
environment. We can’t address all security issues from the os. Maybe we should hint the
users and at the end of the day its their own risk if they use this.

Cheers

Sven

__

Sven Vogel
Lead Cloud Solution Architect

EWERK DIGITAL GmbH
Brühl 24, D-04109 Leipzig
P +49 341 42649 - 99
F +49 341 42649 - 98
S.Vogel@ewerk.com
www.ewerk.com

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Erik Wende, Hendrik Schubert, Tassilo Möschke
Registergericht: Leipzig HRB 9065

Zertifiziert nach:
ISO/IEC 27001:2013
DIN EN ISO 9001:2015
DIN ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011

EWERK-Blog | LinkedIn | Xing | Twitter | Facebook

Auskünfte und Angebote per Mail sind freibleibend und unverbindlich.

Disclaimer Privacy:
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) ist vertraulich und
nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein,
ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt.
Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail
(einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the
sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank
you.
> Am 08.06.2020 um 16:21 schrieb Paul Angus <paul.angus@shapeblue.com>:
>
> My 2 cents:
>
> The default template is not there for general or even production use, it’s there for
people to 'kick the tires' and either see if CloudStack is what they want or check that their
installation is generally OK.

> Therefore (IMO) the pre-requisites are:
>
> - small download size
> - compatibility across all of our supported hypervisors
> - compatibility with all CloudStack features; i.e. live memory and CPU addition, hot
disk-pluging, live migrations which require hypervisor tools installed, passing of user-data,
meta-data, ssh keys and password resets to the VM via VR and config-drive.
> - OS commands that users will be relatively familiar with.
> - ability to be leverage by Marvin tests to perform smoke and integration tests
>
> You know - the usual stuff...
>
> So that we know that the template should 'always work', I don't think that we should
point to an upstream repo, but take an OS version, add/configure whatever is strictly required
to meet our requirements, and keep in the CloudStack downloads.

> Ok, so more like $10 ..
>
> Kind regards
>
> Paul Angus
>

> paul.angus@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> 3 London Bridge Street,  3rd floor, News Building, London  SE1 9SGUK
> @shapeblue

we support (i. e. VMware 6.0 and up, XenServer 7.0 and up and KVM of various flavours).
> So that needs to be taken into consideration when speaking about exotic OS-es or even
the newest ones (Ubuntu 20/CentOS 8) to find a proper OS mappings on hypervisor side that
will allow it to run normally.