cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Simon Weller <swel...@ena.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: KVM Snapshot with Ceph
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2020 16:49:20 GMT
Vincent,

VM Snapshots aren't supported with Ceph as the primary storage. As you note, when using QCOW2
files, the memory payload for the VM snapshot is included within the QCOW2 file. Since Ceph
is using raw storage, there is no where to store that memory (at least today).
Storage based snapshots are supported on Ceph though and you can snap any disk instance using
the native Ceph snapshot functionality.

-Si

________________________________
From: Vincent Hermes <vincenthermes2072@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:51 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: KVM Snapshot with Ceph

Hi Guys,

so we have built a Cluster with a few CentOS7 CS Nodes with KVM as the Hypervisor AND Ceph
as Primary Storage in a hyperconverged way and we got something interesting, maybe some of
you have an idea whats up with that. As KVM works with QCOW2 Image Format for its VMs, all
of the Storage Volumes and Templates are QCOW2 Files. However trying to take a Snapshot including
RAM ends with the error "We only support create vm snapshots from vm with QCOW2 image". Trying
a "virsh snapshot-create [vm-id]" brings us "error: unsupported configuration: internal snapshot
for disk vda unsupported for storage type raw". The qemu.log states "-drive [...] format=raw
[...]" and the according XML file of the VM of course says the same.

Do you have experience in getting Snapshots to work with KVM and Ceph in CS?

Many thanks in advance and best regards from Germany

Vincent