cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Abhishek Kumar <Abhishek.Ku...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] New default template
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2020 07:58:56 GMT
Hi all,

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on a new default template in CloudStack.
Currently, we are using CentOS 5.x for different hypervisors but it is quite old(already completed
its support life) and either the support for it has been removed (https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/Guest-System-Support)
or in legacy (https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&details=1&partner=272&releases=448&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc&testConfig=16)
in different hypervisors.
Therefore, I think it is time now to move to a newer OS template. In my understanding CentOS7
is the minimum viable choice if we are continuing with CentOS. This can be the preferred choice
as we already have tested templates for it on different hypervisors and it has 4 years left
in its cycle.

We can also explore Ubuntu’s cloud-images of 20.04. And if we want to go with something
very light-weight we can think about something like Alpine Linux.

Please have your say. Also, do you think this can be included in 4.15 itself so we can have
a proper default template for something like XCP-ng 8.x which doesn't support CentOS 5 (and
PV VMs)?

Regards,
Abhishek

Abhishek.Kumar@shapeblue.com