cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] New default template
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2020 09:36:53 GMT
We've discussed this in the past:
https://markmail.org/message/lp5pjholfxrqhful
https://markmail.org/message/mkoasohxr5vwyt3l

We probably want both CentOS and Ubuntu based built-in (or default user) templates, and some
people may even prefer Debian, Fedora or even FreeBSD.
I think it would simpler if the built-in template is a single template and based on DistroWatch
[1] it seems a Debian based OS may be more preferable for most users.
Therefore, either a LTS version of Ubuntu (say Ubuntu 20.04) or even Debian is preferable.
The cons of this decision would be to test and fix many smoke tests and component tests.

If we prefer Debian (latest LTS), we can actually make the systemvmtemplate cloud-init enabled
and use it both as the template for system vms but also guest VMs. For every release, we won't
need to maintain two separate templates (a systemvmtemplate and a built-in template) and revisit
this issue again in say next 5 years. A Debian (latest LTS) based built-in template may even
serve for the CKS feature (so if this is do-able and done right, we'll solve the template
issue for systemvms, built-in template and CKS).

To summarise:

  *   A CentOS7 based (cloud-init enabled) built-in template would be easiest thing to do
(in terms of effort and testing); we already have the packer script that we needs an update
- https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/tree/master/tools/appliance/builtin
  *   An Ubuntu 20.04 current/LTS based (cloud-init) template would be something that most
users would want; but adds effort on fixing integration tests
  *   A Debian LTS based (cloud-init) template would add effort on fixing integration tests
but would serve most of our requirements which I think are:
     *   Users prefer a Debian/Ubuntu based guest OS
     *   The template can be cloud-init enabled to work out of box for SSH acccess
     *   We already have the packer script (https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/tree/master/tools/appliance/systemvmtemplate)
that we can extend to build a single template to serve for systemvmtemplate, built-in template
and template for CKS as:
        *   Replace and refactor cloud-early-config with a cloud-init equivalent
        *   Install hypervisor-specific guest tools (we already do this for systemvmtemplate)
        *   Remove noncommon packages and instead either build that as a docker image (tar
file) or deb files bundled in systemvm.iso (such as JRE, strongswan, docker etc)
  *   Debian templates are big in size, to keep the template size very small and further improve
how systemvmtemplates are seeded, we can explore Alpine Linux (or similar?)

[1] https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue