cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
Subject RE: Is tools.jar redistributable?
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:52:15 GMT
My concern is that we're using tools.jar at all.  It only gets installed
with the JDK...not the JRE, and we're only allowed to distribute the JRE
with our deliverables to clients.  As Cocoon grows, I'm sure it will start
getting used more in commercial settings with solutions delivered to
customers, but it would be nice to be able to package that all up in an
install.  From what I can tell, we aren't allowed to redistribute tools.jar
because it's part of the JDK.  We can only redistribute the JRE.

-----Original Message-----
From: rubys@us.ibm.com [mailto:rubys@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 6:39 AM
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is tools.jar redistributable?

>It appears that tools.jar is being referenced by the current XSP stuff.

Warning: Use of tools.jar is hazardous to JDK 1.1.X users.

I've got a version of ant.taskdefs.javac which adds
{java.home}/../lib/tools.jar to the classpath for jdk1.2+ users, and
{java.home}/classes.zip for others.  I'll check it in to jakarta-ant once
I'm happy with it.  After that perhaps I should modify cocoon similarly?

- Sam Ruby