cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cache and performance
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:10:15 GMT
Hans-Guenter Stein wrote:

> Cocoon is a great framework to work with - BUT: it's far to slow. What
> could I do in order to get the best possible performance out of Cocoon?
>
> I tested the performance with JMeter. Whenever I request a page
> manually, the response time is at about 200-400 ms. When using JMeter,
> the response times go up to 6000 ms!!! Why?

Because JMeter sucks :) [I'm allowed to say that since I wrote it] You
should not use JMeter as "absolute" values, they don't mean almost
anything. JMeter introduces lots of delays itself, also depends
incredibly on the JVM you are using and if this JVM is running on the
same CPU.

Also, Cocoon1 doesn't scale very well on multiple concurrent requests
(expecially given the lack of cached stylesheets).

BTW, we are fully aware of these problems and many of them are being
solved in Cocoon2.

> About the cache: when is it used? I tested with the Cocoon standard
> examples. The HelloWorld example is served from cache but the 'First XSP
> Page' example is not! Why?

Because it's dynamically generated and it doesn't implement any
"hasChanged()" logic that tells the cache system whether or not the page
should be cached.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.