cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: XP taglib and new cocoon site
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:28:38 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> Then why don't you do what I suggested?
>
> E.g.:
> view.xml contains the code (XSP).
> archive.xml contains the archive overview.
>
> Use view.xml?get=archive.xml and use <xsp:include-file>. <xsp:include-file>
> does not suffer from the 64K restriction.

<xsp:include-file> is new to me. Perhaps you mean <util:include-file>?
Or the XInclude Processor?

Anyway, XSP pages are always compiled. If you include XML before or
during an XSP pass, then that XML is compiled along with it. If you
include XML after an XSP pass, then you avoid that problem. The only
option to do that would be the XInclude processor, but that currently
doesn't work after XSP, only before it.

> Why do you need any XSP in the overview anyway, if it is all pre-generated?

There is no XSP anywhere in any of my pre-generated files, they are all
straight XML. As soon as I include them into a XSP page, however, they
get compiled along with the XSP page.

Basically, my premises are these:

a) all content in straight XML files, which are visible to the user
b) all logic in XSP files, which are invisible to the user

So, the user requests an XML file. All my XML files have a stylesheet
called "/common.xsp", which generates a dynamic XSP page and executes
it. The XSP page generates some dynamic content, puts it into tags and
calls its stylesheet, which is called "/common.xsl". This stylesheet
transforms the XML tags to HTML.

As you can see there is no XSP file, which the user could request and
which in turn could include something. Instead the user requests XML
files, which will generate a dynamic XSP page, if logic needs to be
done. This way I can give my straight XML files to anybody and have true
seperation of logic and content.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring