cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format for valid XML documents?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:31:53 GMT
Henning von Bargen wrote:

> > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von:  Stefano Mazzocchi [SMTP:stefano@apache.org]
> > Gesendet am:  Dienstag, 11. Juli 2000 14:49
> > An:   cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
> > Betreff:      Re: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format
> for valid  XML documents?
> >
> > Henning von Bargen wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi folks,
> > > I know this is off-topic, but there are so many XML experts here, so I
> hope
> > > I'll get an answer.
> > >
> > > Is there any "standard" format for compressing XML files?
> >
> > XMill

> > Sorry, but I don't remember the URL... try searching for it...
> >

> http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/xmill/
>
> I'll download and have a look at it.
> Question is, will web servers and browsers sooner or later support
> XMill-(de)compression on the fly?

I don't know. XMill compression is better than GZip and even BZip, but I
believe that XMLSchema valid XML can be compressed even more (I have a
pretty solid background on data compression).

XML is very verbose compared to the information it conveys, valid XML
even more (given that part of the structure is already known by the
schema)

It's possible to create huffman trees of elements using the XMLSchema as
a weighter function... but XMill doesn't got that far and generates a
sort of reduced-verbosity tree they then compress (which, to me, appears
as a totally useless thing if the structure is known in advance)

Anyway, research on XML compression is so young you can say it's almost
unexistant, but I picture XML-specific compression to achieve incredible
results compared to text, expecially since XMLSchema defines datatypes
(dates, if considered as such, can be represented with a lot less bits
than a sequence of digits).

So, XMill or not, something equivalent will be used to transfer XML on
the fly.... BTW, incorporating XMill as a Cocoon serializer should be
pretty straightforward if a Java port if made.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.