cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade from cocoon 1.7.2 to 1.7.4
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:39:01 GMT
mohamed ramzy wrote:

> hi
>
> i've a question which is confusing me, if i want to
> upgrade from cocoon 1.7.2 to 1.7.4 should i delete the
> previous version and install the new one, or there is
> a way to upgrade without reinstalling again????

Just replace *ALL* the jars and the cocoon.properties
file.

It is important to note a couple of potential gotchas:

As of 1.7.4, Cocoon takes advantage of a feature in Servlet-2.1+
where the cocoon.properties file has to be within the context
that Cocoon is mounted.  In otherwords, if cocoon is mapped to
the ROOT context, the cocoon.properties file path has to be
specified relative to the base directory of that context:

/webapps/ROOT/cocoon.properties

would be written in the server configuration file as
properties=/cocoon.properties
if /webapps/ROOT/ is the base directory of the ROOT context.

If the file names have changed on the Jar files, you must remove
the old files and make sure the new files are in your CLASSPATH.

Also note: not all servlet engines are the same.  I have successfully
installed Cocoon-1.7.4 and Cocoon-2.0a1 on Tomcat, Gefion LWS-2.2.1,
and Orion servlet engines.  While Tomcat and Orion use the WEB-INF
directory and XML configuration, Orion does not allow you to access
the configuration file from within the WEB-INF directory and Tomcat
does.  LWS uses properties files for it's configuration (even though
it is Servlet 2.2 compliant).