cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@Triestram-Partner.de>
Subject AW: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format for valid XML documents?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:55:28 GMT

compact.

It doesn't need to be valid XML, but it needs to be ASCII.

> > Background:
> > A web server and a RDBMS are communicating over a 64k link,
> > the link is shared with other application, so there is very
> > low bandwidth.
> > The RDBMS produces data in XML, the web server (i.e. Cocoon)
> > uses style
> > sheets
> > to pretty-format everything.
> > The RDBMS could produce data in ASCII-compressed XML in order
> > to use less
> > bandwidth, a modified DOM or SAX parser that consumes
> > compressed XML should
> > be easy to implement.
>
> What is wrong with your own suggestion of using gzip or so?

I cannot produce (g)zipped data from the database

> If you need plain ascii then use the MIME::Base64 encoding to get it.

That makes no sense, because it would cause even more data to be
transmitted.

> I have large, highly redundant XML files. Gzip can compress to 1.5% of the
original size, and bzip2 can compress to 0.5% of the original size  (you
would probably get less).

> Another approach is building a virtual private network between the two
endpoints and enable compression in _that_.   That is easily done with ssh
between two Unix-machines, and allow you to keep your software base
unmodified.

This could possibly be an option for me.

Best regards,
Henning