cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Henning von Bargen <H.vonBar...@Triestram-Partner.de>
Subject AW: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format for valid XML documents?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:52:59 GMT

Just because I cannot generate something else on the DB side and because I
can not
put a compressor/decompressor between the SQL connection (except -perhaps-
by using a VPN).

> > > What is wrong with your own suggestion of using gzip or so?
> >
> > I cannot produce (g)zipped data from the database
>
> Probably not, but the question is why you are having a direct database
connection across a 64k line.

Yeah, I discussed that with my customer, but the IT manager there want all
web servers in one place.
The database is placed somewhere else several miles away.
I know that this makes no sense, but they want it that way.

> > > If you need plain ascii then use the MIME::Base64 encoding
> > to get it.
> >
> > That makes no sense, because it would cause even more data to be
> > transmitted.
>
> Not if it is gzipped first.  Or bzip2'ed.
>
> > > Another approach is building a virtual private network
> > between the two
> > endpoints and enable compression in _that_.   That is easily
> > done with ssh
> > between two Unix-machines, and allow you to keep your software base
> > unmodified.
> >
> > This could possibly be an option for me.
>
> The -C option to ssh uses the gzip algorithm to do the compression.  If
this is available to you, I think it should be the best of both worlds.

> Otherwise you might consider setting up a local Cocoon on the database
machine and do the XSLT processing there.