cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <...@stibo.dk>
Subject RE: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format for valid XML documents?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:39:48 GMT

> > Why?
>
> Just because I cannot generate something else on the DB side
> and because I
> can not
> put a compressor/decompressor between the SQL connection
> (except -perhaps-
> by using a VPN).

How do you currently connect to the database?  Why can't you put other services on the database
box, so you can do your processing there?

> Yeah, I discussed that with my customer, but the IT manager
> there want all
> web servers in one place.
> The database is placed somewhere else several miles away.
> I know that this makes no sense, but they want it that way.

Then tell them they need a better Internet connection between the machines.

> Ok, I'll give up.

You could, but you could also create a XSL style sheet to unfold your suggested table.  I
don't think you can do the :1 tags though.

> BTW, do browsers support displaying gzipped XML or HTML
> files? I never tried
> that.

Some do.  Try with myfile.html.gz so the browser can autodetect the MIME-type from the file
extension in the URL.