cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alessandro Bottoni <Alessandro.Bott...@think3.com>
Subject RE: Looking for the big picture
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 09:40:32 GMT

	> [Wolfgang Werner]
	> BTW: I have to be able to scale to up to 500 *parallel* users
	>
	> [Alessandro Bottoni]
	> ...but Cocoon ( Cocoon 1 ) is quite slow if compared with
traditional web
	> servers, in particular if you use XSP. In any case, 500 users *at
	> a time* is
	> a fairly high load for *any* server that creates pages on demand,
even
	> simple HTML/ASP pages...

	Right. But as far as I can see, the performance depends heavily on
the logic
	running in EJB and the database side, and the transformations 'only'
add a
	more or less fixed amount of processing time.

[Alessandro Bottoni]
Right. I'm sure you are following the other discussion threads of this list,
concerning with cocoon performance, and you have seen many confirmations of
this "feeling" already.

Of course, much can (and should) be done by the Cocoon "user"
("implementor"?) for improving performance trough the "fine-tuning" of the
businness and dabatase logic. Unfortunatley, this kind of fine-tuning can be
quite time- and effort-demanding. Not all the companies are willing to
carefully review and fine tuning their existing stuff just for reaching an
acceptable level of performance. This can be a problem.

As long as I can see, the "fixed amount of processing time", added at every
request/response cycle by *all* XML-based servers, makes mandatory a
fine-tuning process that other, much simpler, technologies can afford to
avoid (I'm thinking to PHP and ASP, for example). That's why I wait Cocoon
II so much.

I hope that these concerns about performance will be swept away by the
hardware evolution in a short time, as happened for normal software before.
The next year we will have cheap CPUs able to run at much more than 1Ghz and
cheap internet connections at more than 1Mb/sec in many company
sites...maybe, at that moment, this discussion thread will belong to
hystory...

Alessandro Bottoni (Alessandro.Bottoni@Think3.com)
Web Programmer @ Think3 inc. (www.think3.com)
I do not speak for think3 and they return the favour