cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Using <response:url-encode> ...
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:52:15 GMT
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Donald Ball wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Uli Mayring wrote:
>
> > *Lightbulb* - could that be a way to do Java without getting your XML
> > compiled (as with XSP)?
>
> uh, sure, yeah, xalan extension functions let you do that and then
> some. personally, i like doing my content generation logic in XSP, while I
> use xalan extension functions for massaging the results a little (maybe
> some date formatting, maybe some string manip, maybe some
> urlencoding).

You are absolutely right, of course, but this is currently the only way to
avoid the 64K barrier for the populateDocument method with XSP. Another
way may be Jeremy's fp taglib, which could again work in an XSP context.

> but there are those who like to do content generation in
> their stylesheets. i'm curious to see how that's going to pan out in the
> long run. might be a good fit for you.

Stylesheets should not generate content, they should just style it. On the
other hand the difference may be academic:

XSP way:

<dynamiccontent><xsp:expr>doLogic()</xsp:expr></dynamiccontent>

XSLT way:

<xsl:template match="dynamiccontent">
     <xsl:value-of select="myclass:doLogic()"/>
</xsl:template>

The important thing is what happens in doLogic() and that is external to
the content in both cases. We do not lose seperation of content and logic
in this way.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring