cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: Will cocoon2 be a servlet?
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 14:20:31 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ulrich Mayring" <ulim@denic.de>
To: <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 7:55 AM
Subject: Will cocoon2 be a servlet?

> Hello,
>
> looking at the Avalon framework it seems it doesn't support servlets, is
> that correct? Will taglibs that use the servlet API not work under
> cocoon2 because of that?

Cocoon2 is a Servlet now.  The Avalon framework is just that.  A framework.
There is currently work being done to make it a secure and stable pluggable
server farm, and a Servlet Engine would be implemented on top of that.  As
well as a mail server (Apache JAMES), a data migration server, etc.

Cocoon 2 is both a servlet and Avalon compliant because it is built using
the precepts that Avalon is built on.  Cocoon 2 works with just about any
Servlet 2.2 compliant Servlet Engine, and includes the Avalon API.

As far as Taglibs are concerned, I am not positive about that because I
am not familiar with the technology.  From what I understand it is related
to JSP--which Cocoon 2 promotes XSP.  The reason being that JSP forces
multiple conversions from text streams to XML streams and back again simply
for the limits of JSP.  XSP allows the XML stream to be uninterrupted by
allowing the SAX events to be called between XSP, XSL, and serialization
stages.