cocoon-users mailing list archives

From SÚrgio Carvalho <scarva...@criticalsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Relative Speeds of XSL Engines
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:01:01 GMT
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:57:30 +0100
"Arnaud Vandyck" <arnaud@ressource-toi.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure I really understand these tests! I always hear "Java is slow"
> and in these tests, Java XSLT Processor are sometimes faster than C++
> parsers! Am I right? Did I miss something?.. or maybe missunderstand?

You just missed the last two years of developments on JIT compilers. Java is truly faster
than C++ for most data manipulation tasks. I just whish Sun would speed up their implementation
of Swing - the GUI toolkit. Too many people think Java is slow because the UI apps are slow,
and it is all caused by a poor GUI toolkit (performance-wise).