cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <pruss...@apache.org>
Subject Re: documentation
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:48:14 GMT
* tom (tom@tnimmo.co.uk) wrote :
> I repeat that this is not a criticism - documentation is a large task
> and who wants to do that when they are brilliant software engineers at
> the cutting edge ;) !! and have so little time.

The problem is even more complex than that, to be honest. The people who
write the code know _exactly_ how it works in intimate detail. We can,
as a rule fix any problem that comes along, and really don't need much
in the way of documentation. Also, the very fact that we know the code
inside out actually makes us very badly placed to write end user
documentation - I know from experience that it's very easy to write
technical documentation about projects like cocoon, but by far the best
user documentation comes from the users themselves.

> I do not know how to proceed from here but would be willing to help out.

Great. Well the first thing you can do is to try and get cocoon working
for you. Document your attempts at this, _including failures_ and then
use that documentation to help you look at the existing documentation in
the distribution and see if you can improve it. Send us patches, be
happy. Rinse and repeat when you're actually using cocoon.

Paul