cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Phil Blake <p...@tcp.net.au>
Subject SVG, JPEG, PNG and Xvfb
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 06:59:15 GMT
Hi all,

I'm making an attempt to get SVG's working.

My understanding is that svg2jpeg and svg2png currently has a dependency
on Xvfb.

I'm running MacOS X so I installed Xfree86, including Xvfb and used the
script submitted by someone on the list:

if [ "$1" = "stop" ] ; then
     # kill off any framebuffer running, kill kill kill :-)
     kill -TERM `/sbin/pidof Xvfb`
elif [ "$1"="start" -o "$1"="run" ] ; then
     # start up a virtual framebuffer for cocoon2's rendering
     Xvfb :1 -screen 0 320x240x24 &
fi

I called the script xfb and ran it:

phil% xfb start

All looked good. There was a process Xvfb running. WooHoo.

I then trashed the Tomcat work directory for cocoon and started up
Tomcat, pointed it at cocoon and waited for the startup.

All looked good.

I selected the sample "scalable vector graphics - An example of a SVG
file rendered to a PNG image. "

The following image was produced: (it's been scaled down so as not to
annoy, and make the email small enough to make it onto the list)
<File attached: test.jpg>

To save you looking at it, the image is rendered the same way it was
before running Xvfb - strangely.

I'll move everything to aix and try again.

Until the dependency problem is resolved, it may be a good idea to put a
warning in the documentation that the svg2jpeg and svg2png functionality
is limited to specific configurations. I mention this because we'd
planned to provide a cocoon-based site to a company that hosts using NT
(yes we know that's a stupid idea anyhow) however I'm assuming that
there are going to be Xvfb issues under windows - If someone can
enlighten me as to cocoon svg/jpeg/png served under windows it would be
much appreciated.

We only have one client that uses windows so this is not a major issue.

Thanks in advance. Have fun,

Phil