cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Petru Dimulescu <adrian.dimule...@free.fr>
Subject slow xalan transformation
Date Sun, 19 May 2002 18:44:09 GMT
Hello,

I installed today a cvs cocoon on a Tomcat 4.0.3 / jdk 1.3.1_01 and it works
fine if it weren't for the slow xslt transformation.

What do i mean by slow?

I want to make HTML versions of Bible chapters. In order to do that, I have a
main biblie.xml file which includes all its chapters using entities. I apply
a stylesheet which simply selects a chapter and then another stylesheet which
transforms this selection to HTML markup.

it should be said that the xml file (with its chapters) is no small xml file
(it is the Bible after all).

the relevant sitemap.conf part:

   <map:match pattern="carti/**.html">
                <map:generate src="carti/resources/{1}.xml"/>
                <map:transform src="carti/stylesheets/tei-select-subdiv.xsl">
                </map:transform>
            <map:transform src="carti/stylesheets/{1}-html.xsl"/>
                <map:serialize/>
   </map:match>

I measured the time it takes several xslt processors on my machine
(Thunderbird 1.2 GHz, 250MB RAM) to isolate a chapter of the Bible (say,
Genesis or Matthew)

* xalan2 (Java):  40 seconds
* saxon6.5 (Java):  18 seconds
* xsltproc (C): 3 seconds !

Under jdk1.4 xalan is catastrophic: it takes more than 2 minutes to do this
transformation.

Now, my question is: do you think these times are normal, do they include DTD
validation and if they do how can I disable DTD validation?

Is there a Java solution to this problem (other than writing a TraxTransformer
implementaion which would simply execute xsltproc?)

==
Thank you,
Adrian Petru Dimulescu.

* * *

PS:
Here is a sketch of the biblie.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-2" ?>
<!DOCTYPE TEI.2 PUBLIC "-//TEI//DTD TEI Lite XML ver. 1//EN"
"/home/dadi/xml/dtds/tei/myPizza.dtd" [
<!-- Vechiul Testament -->

<!ENTITY facerea 	SYSTEM "capitole/facerea.xml">
<!ENTITY iesirea 	SYSTEM "capitole/iesirea.xml">
<!-- ... and all the other chapter here ... -->

<TEI.2>
<text>
<div0 type="parte" id="vt" n="1">
<head>Vechiul Testament</head>

&facerea;
&iesirea;

<!-- ... and all the other chapters here ... -->
</div0>

</text>

</TEI.2>