cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Ruth, Thomas {PDBI~Basel}" <THOMAS.R...@Roche.COM>
Subject Impact of number of XLM files versus file size; Performance;
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 19:03:49 GMT
Hi
while designing an application and learning to understand the concept of Cocoon2 we have following
design issue which I want to ask you for some help and/or advice from your experience or development
knowledge:
I have a XML file with 2000 elements, each element has about 10 attributes plus values, it
is around 2MB of size. We want to do some XSL transformation and serialize it to HTML for
the browser. From the application logic point of view we could split the 1 XML file into 2
files, each around  800k of relevant data or we could create from this one file 1000 files
each containing a set of parent and child, each of this smaller files is between 1k and 40k.

In which direction should we design our system to get the best performance when accessing
the XML files. I know it depends on what you do with XSL, but is there a general direction
with Cocoon2 to go: access the data using 1 big XML file or work/access the data using smaller
XML files.
Thanks
Thomas Ruth
thomas.ruth@web.de