cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Brandes, Wayne" <WBran...@air.org>
Subject RE: redirection in XSP?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:48:31 GMT
I have used the XSP-as-action method to do redirection in the sitemap (based
on the requestor's url), but one limitation is that it only allows a binary
choice: if the action succeeds go to one url, if the action fails go to a
different url. How can a pipeline be set up to allow more than just two
possible redirect pathways?

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Hohls [mailto:DHohls@csir.co.za]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 7:57 AM
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: redirection in XSP?

Alban

Its about concepts - XSP are intended to be *generators* of
information, and the sitemap to handle the *flow of logic* in
the app as a whole.  This is in line with the underlying philosophy
of "separation of concerns". Given the generator is at the start of a
pipeline it does make much sense for it to handle redirection.

So, my suggestion is to look at your app *as a whole* and then
decide on the appropriate components within Cocoon to handle
the situations that arise.  Yes, this will probably involve some
more work (and likely some worthwhile refactoring), but I think
you will find you end up with a more robust system.

My 2c
Derek

PS There is also a link off the page below to a wiki page
on creating actions using XSPs.... this may help.

PPS You could of course take a step backwards and use
Cocoon 1 (which does allow XSP redirection) - maybe quicker
in the short term but I think not so good in the long term.

>>> Alban.Tsui@COGNOS.com 20/02/2003 02:39:15 >>>

After reading the page, I am a bit lost.

Doesn't that mean the redirection has to be in an action? Why doesn't it
work within xsp (or why not recommended)? From what I have seen in the
cocoon source, there is a sendRedirect method on HttpResponse class.

In fact, I have about 60 somethng pages and 15 of them require the use of
redirection if necessary. Does that mean I need to write 15 actions and on
action per xsp page? This will end up sitemap being very large as well. It
is somehow kind of breaking up the logic... because each action per xsp and
I believe they should be in the same place.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Alban