cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Battling with null pointer exception
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:13:10 GMT
Antonio

Not sure we have more memory on the server, but I can try...

The current  CATALINA_OPTS looks like:

CATALINA_OPTS='-Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/local/pja/lib/pja.jar
-Dawt.toolkit=com.eteks.awt.PJAToolkit
-Djava2d.font.usePlatformFont=false
-Djava.awt.graphicsenv=com.eteks.java2d.PJAGraphicsEnvironment
-Djava.awt.fonts=/usr/java/jre/lib/fonts
-Duser.home=/usr/local/pja -cp /usr/java/jre/lib/ext/pjatools.jar'

Can I just add your parameter to the front or end of these commands?

Thanks
Derek

>>> agallardo@agsoftware.dnsalias.com 03/02/2003 01:54:16 >>>
Derek Hohls dijo:
> I have an XSP page, containing ESQL; it works fine on my
> test machine which has a relatively small subset of data,
> but gives errors on the production machine with the full
> database.

OK. I suppose:
  1-You have 5,000+ rows in your current DB.
  2-The code in the XSP page works fine in your develpment machine.

Solution:
  1-Give more memory to Tomcat and Cocoon.

Detail:

  Suppose you can give 256 MB to Cocoon. then:

    1-For Tomcat, in TOMCAT_ROOT/bin/catalina.sh:

         CATALINA_OPTS='-Xmx256m'

       Also you need to tell Cocoon about that. In cocoon.xconf,
search
for store-janitor:

<store-janitor logger="core.store.janitor">
     <parameter name="freememory" value="10000000"/>
     <parameter name="heapsize" value="256000000"/>
     <!-- How often shall the cleanup thread check memory -->
     <parameter name="cleanupthreadinterval" value="15"/>
     <!-- Indicates the thread priority of the cleanup thread -->
     <parameter name="threadpriority" value="5"/>
     <!-- How much percent of the elements of each registered Store
shall
     be removed when low on memory. Default 10% -->
     <parameter name="percent_to_free" value="10"/>
  </store-janitor>

More recommendations:
  1- Upgrade to Tomcat 4.1.18

Finally Restart Tomcat! I hope it will help.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.