cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: big ESQL performance problem
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:05:44 GMT
On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 08:55  AM, Leszek Gawron wrote:
> I've been fighting with this all day and cannot find a cause. I'm
> using quite
> fresh esql implementation to access Pervasive SQL 2000 database. The
> problem
> is I have to pull 5500 rows from database. Performing query in
> Squirell SQL it
> takes 3 second to execute and 16 to build output table (build squirell
> view).
> The same query executed under cocoon takes 3.5 MINUTES! I'm desperate.
> Pervasive is a weird database (the SQL access is built on very low
> lewel
> core).

We are in the process of switching from pervasive to postgresql for
performance reasons. We have a 70k record table that takes *10 MINUTES*
to do a "SELECT COUNT(col) FROM table WHERE col2 = X" when col2 is
indexed. I have also noticed a very quick and steady decrease in
performance doing "SELECT COUNT(col) FROM table", *no where clause*, as
records are added.

My advice is to move from pervasive as fast as you can :)
-pete