cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Problem with entities in XMLSerializer
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:51:22 GMT
Anna Afonchenko wrote:
> Sorry if something like this was already asked, but I couldn't find
> anything similar in the archives.
> I have an html file with some entities inside (apostophe, trademark, quotes):

> The output xml file has entities converted to corresponding characters:

There are only a few predefined entities in XML. Most of the entities
predefined in HTML are not available in vanilla XML. Because there is no
XHTML serializing method, the serializer does not know that it is
serializing XHTML, and therefore it wont use (X)HTML entities. Instead it
uses Unicode characters if the encoding permits (that's what you see
because you use the default encoding of UTF-8, which permits unescaped
representation of any Unicode character), otherwise it uses character