cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Recommended Cocoon reading
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:11:27 GMT
On 25/04/2003 17:50 Tony Collen wrote:

> As far as books go, if you search Amazon for "cocoon", the top 3 books
> returned should be more than plenty.  However, these only really cover
> Cocoon 2.0.x, and do not touch on some of the more recent technology in
> Cocoon such as the Flowscript.

... and if it helps, here's my highly personal appreciation of these books:

* Langham/Ziegeler

bedtime reading (in a positive sense), explains more than Cocoon only,
gives a decent overview of developing custom components as well, but
might be skimming some of the subjects you are looking for - I enjoyed,
though.

* Moczar/Aston

suffers from a too broad & unevenly spaced typography, yet a more
thorough overview of everything out there, plenty of samples as well - I
like.

* Brogden, D'Cruz, Gaither

I'm not particularly keen on this book, to be honest - it's basically a
trip through the Cocoon samples and lacks a bit of positioning (best
practices and the like) - but some people might appreciate it as an
alternative to the online docs. It has a very extensive array of
Internet pointers, which obviously can become dated very fast.

                                - O -

None of the three books can be considered waste of money, however, as
you have sometimes with other IT books. The 3 publishers, 7 authors and
their 3 books will remain the 'classic Cocoon books' for some time to
come, and I assume only O'Reilly might surprise us with something
better, maybe.

Be sure to spend time on the Wiki, too, and enjoy the presentations from
the past GetTogether (http://outerthought.net/gettogether/)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org