cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steve Brackenbury <s.brackenb...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Cocoon: presentation tier + J2EE EJB business tier --- a valid performant architecture?
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2003 17:06:29 GMT
I'm looking for others to share their thoughts and experience with Cocoon &
J2EE EJB architectures.

I am considering using Cocoon for a large application.  We are
re-engineering a 20 year old mainframe based application that currently
uses CICS/VSAM.  The new application will be using J2EE architecture, EJBs
and a RDBMS.

I've been kicking Cocoon's tires and I really like what I see - separation
of concerns for business logic/model/view, flexible presentation options,
component based, highly reusable, relatively easy to configure etc...

I can't seen to find any information comparing the performance of a Cocoon
implementation vs. a standard JSP/Struts based implementation.  I'm
concerned about XSL and performance.  With a business application that
involves mostly dynamic content, can Cocoon offer reasonable performance
for a WebApp and scale to thousands or tens of thousands of users.  Our
application could have as many as 300-500 concurrent http requests during
peak business periods.

Also, my development team is experienced with XSL.  I'm concerned about how
they will react to XSL.  They are experienced JSP developers.  What kind of
balking might I encounter?  How can I get them to give XSL a fair
assessment?  Any tips on convincing them of the benefits?

I would love to hear from others who would like to share their experience.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

...Steve

email:    s.brackenbury@sympatico.ca