cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steve Brackenbury <s.brackenb...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: New Sites
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:15:47 GMT
At 11:34 AM 6/10/2003 +0100, Kevin McDermott wrote:

>"Steve Brackenbury" <s.brackenbury@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

<stuff deleted>

>None of the site is "static" content :)  It just looks that way, due to the
>magic of Cocoon ;)
>
><map:resource name="display-page">
>     <map:aggregate element="aggregated-page">
>         <map:part src="{path}/{file}.xml"/>
>         <map:part src="{section}/section-config.xml"/>
>         <map:part src="site-config.xml"/>
>      </map:aggregate>
>     <map:transform
>src="file:///usr/local/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/webapps/content/content/
>ireland.standardlifeinvestments.com/xsl/chunkfile2xinclude.xsl">
>         <map:parameter name="vpath"
>value="/usr/local/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/webapps/content/content/irela
>nd.standardlifeinvestments.com/"/>
>     </map:transform>
>     <map:transform type="cinclude"/>
>     <map:transform src="{xslt}">
>         <map:parameter name="vpath" value="{path}/{file}.xml"/>
>         <map:parameter name="page-id" value="{file}"/>
>         <map:parameter name="section-id" value="{section}"/>
>         <map:parameter name="vpath" value="{path}/{file}.xml"/>
>         <map:parameter name="ln" value="en"/>
>         <map:parameter name="use-request-parameters" value="true"/>
>     </map:transform>
>     <map:serialize type="html"/>
></map:resource>

<stuff deleted>

I'm a Cocoon neophyte, so please set me straight if I'm wrong, but from
what I've read about Cocoon's caching mechanism, I'd consider the above
content as fairly static.

The degree to which it would be considered static by Cocoon would depend on
how you've configured caching, the size of the component pool and the
number of documents you serve up on the site.  Cocoon would process a
pipeline once and for subsequent requests it would attempt to return the
requested document from the cache if available.

>But, we also pull in dynamically generated content from a servlet
>
><map:part
>src="http://uk.standardlifeinvestments.com/FundAccessor/FundAccessor?series=
>{file}"/>
>
>We've tested the load up to 200 concurrency on the Fund prices pages alone,
>these are the slowest pages (due to the Servlet request)
>
>Significantly, the FundAccessor servlet does return "LastModified" properly
>(as per the Servlet spec), although I'm not entirely sure how much this is
>helping.

Again, depending on the component pool and whether caching is configured -
I would think "LastModified" would help performance if the Servlet has also
been configured to cache results.

You might want to consider ESI (Edge Side Includes) and see if they fit
>within your design.

We have purchased caching hardware and plan use it to move static content
(images and fragments) out to the edge of our network to relieve our web
servers of this responsibility.

I guess I'm still looking for a comfort and confidence level that Cocoon is
going to be able to scale if used as the presentation tier for a large J2EE
application.  I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking that if there were a way
to achieve the equivalent of a  "LastModified" in the content I serve up
from my J2EE business tier, perhaps I can take advantage of Cocoon caching
to a degree for things like user page refreshes etc...  This should be
possible right?  Any caveats or potential issues that would prevent me from
doing this?

Thanks for sharing your experience Kevin.  It's been very useful.  BTW -
what release of Cocoon are you using for SLI?

regards,

...Steve

Steve Brackenbury
Toronto, Canada