cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Cocoon: presentation tier + J2EE EJB business tier --- a valid performant architecture?
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2003 11:18:48 GMT
Le Samedi, 7 juin 2003, à 19:06 Europe/Zurich, Steve Brackenbury a
écrit :
> ...Also, my development team is experienced with XSL.  I'm concerned
> about how they will react to XSL.  They are experienced JSP
> developers.  What kind of balking might I encounter?  How can I get
> them to give XSL a fair assessment?  Any tips on convincing them of
> the benefits?...

I assume you mean "not experienced".

I've been doing quite a lot of XSLT in the last two years, also
mentoring several programmers coming from various backgrounds. It has
been a success for people who were open-minded about accepting comments
and adapt their way of working to what XSLT does best, and a failure
with people who tried to write (for example) java-like code in XSLT,
without taking advantage of specific XSLT features and way of working.

What I like in XSLT is that it is very concise if written correctly (in
terms of number of constructs - of course the XML syntax is a pain),
often writing a few templates does the job *but* it might take a lot of
reflexion to write them. As always, building simple things takes a lot
of brainpower.

For me the move from java to XSLT is similar to moving to an
object-oriented language from a procedural one: you have to change your
state of mind, if you keep on working "the old way" with the new tool
it fails.

So I'd say the advantages are that you will write much less XSLT code
than java code to achieve the same results (which means less code to
test and maintain), but unless your people are willing to learn XSLT
properly and understand "the XSLT way" they might be frustrated by the
results.

Compared to JSP, I think XSLT's advantages are mostly in the ability to
generate different formats (HTML, HTML+CSS, SVG, PDF, RTF, WAP, etc.)
with similar tools and reusable chunks of XSLT code. If your app
produces only HTML the difference in maintainability might not be so
important.

Hope this helps,
--
   Bertrand Delacretaz
   independent consultant, Lausanne, Switzerland