cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: [2.1m2][xmlform][schematron] model-bean properties of primitive types
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:07:13 GMT
Hi:
Steven Cummings dijo:
> Hello,
>
> I have a quick question about how to deal with primitive-typed
> properties in xmlform and schematron. I cannot get my assertion message
> for primitive fields to show on the form after pressing the "Next"
> button (I'm using flowscript to implement a form-wizard, just like the
> example from the xmlform block). Instead I get the exception message
> about number formatting. I understand that the xmlform framework would
> like to try to save the user-input value while showing the error message
> so that they can change or correct it, but this obviously won't work
> when the value can't be saved at all.

XMLForm are currently being merged with JXForm:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105775885025780&w=2

But take it easily, since the are very similars. :)

> Is there a way to have xmlform check your assertions *before* saving the
> erroneous value? Is it possible to tell it to use a default value in
> case of such an error and to display nothing in case of that default
> value?

It depends how you are saving. But is you are using flow, then you can
check the returned values from the form *before* saving. If there is and
error you can go back.

A new forms framework is emerging, his name is woody. It allow to do
automatically this kind of things. I also think JXForms allow to do that,
but I dont know it deeply.

> The next best thing I can think of is to write a proxy object whose
> properties corresponding to the primitives of the original object are
> strings such that the user can do input, see validation errors, and THEN
> have the flowscript persist the proxied values into the real object. I
> wanted to see if there was a better way without having to write so much
> extra code for each model-bean.

Yes, woody do that.

If you are very interested in this I invite you to follow the current
dicusion in the devel maillist.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.