cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Incremental Processing in Cocoon 2.1
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:10:28 GMT
On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 20:40, Hauke Ernst wrote:
> Very good idea, but not yet the solution. When I switch to "caching",
> ThreadIdentifyingTransformer.class prints both thread-id's directly at
> the beginning instead of printing the second one at the end, which was
> the behaviour with profile-caching. This seems to be a good sign.
> However, the output on the screen starts to appear if the
> transformation is finished completely.
> Even if I remove all transformations having only a generator and a
> html serializer, it does not stream. Maybe it is the serializer?
> Its configuration is
>
>       <map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.html"
> mime-type="text/html" name="html" pool-grow="4" pool-max="32"
> pool-min="4" src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">
>         <buffer-size>1024</buffer-size>
>
> The buffer size seems appropriate. The testfile itself is HUGE.

I almost couldn't believe it, but indeed you're quite right. Cocoon will
indeed buffer the entire output before sending it to the client. I guess
this was done to make it always possible to reset the response in case
an error occurs during execution of the SAX-pipeline.

The buffer-size parameter you show above doesn't really exist, I removed
it from the default sitemap in CVS (it used to exist but that's changed
now).

I was a little wrong in the syntax of the buffersize parameter before,
it should be specified like this:

<map:pipe name="noncaching"
src="org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.NonCachingProcessingPipeline">
  <parameter name="outputBufferSize" value="8192"/>
</map:pipe>

If -1 is specified, the whole output is buffered before sending it to
the client (= the default). Better don't use 0 or a very low value
because that will have a negative impact on performance too.

I'll add this parameter commented out to the default sitemap together
with a short explanation.