cocoon-users mailing list archives

From rufio <ru...@op.pl>
Subject Re: map:aggregate / map:part does only work with XML files?
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:02:44 GMT
on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:12:39 -0700 Miles Elam <miles@pcextremist.com>
wrote:

> rufio wrote:
>
> >And I thing aggregator should be able to take anything that produces
> >SAX events - generators/resources/whatever, so people didn't have to
> >use pipeline-for-generator workaround.
> >

> It can.  <map:part src="..."/> can take a remote URI, a local absolute
> URI, a local relative URI, and the output of another pipeline.  What
> exactly is the limitation?

simply: all other generators (if we can assume that map:part takes role
of file generator) can't be used here.

>  For all intents and purposes from the user
> point of view, <map:part/> is a generator. If readers et al. (read:
> possible non-XML content) were allowed into <map:aggregate/>, Cocoon's
> XML processing contracts would be horribly broken.

I didn't say anything about readers - "anything that produses SAX
events"

>  In addition,
> putting what amounts to a full pipeline in the aggregator has issues
> as well which I will explain below.
>
> <stuff-about-debugging>
> <stuff-about-sitemap-mainanance>
>
> So what were the use cases for needing these added semantics to the
> aggregator that outweigh what was just mentioned?

There are two situations where you really need to call pipeline from
map:part :
- as you mentioned - debugging
- situations where you really *want* to call them

but

putting anything-that-produces-SAX-events in map:part would be
simply more intuitive.

Hmm, I think map:resource would be good use case.
What is the sense of having map:resources if I still have to define
pipelines/matchers for them?

And one more: every time I call another pipeline isn't there any
performance issue (during serializing and deserializing) ?

BTW IMO sitemap is like programming language - I program the cocoon.
But in other programming langs I can use for() in another for()
or if() in if() or even call method from another method
Why I can't use, for example map:aggregate in map:aggregate?

Regards, Rufio
--
nmap -sS -O -p80,81 www.microsoft.com
[..]