cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Peter Velychko <v_pe...@ukr.net>
Subject Re: Problems using Java code in Flow Scripts
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:40:44 GMT
Hello Stephan,

SN> Hello,

SN> at first I would say that the concept of Control Flow is one of the best concepts I
have ever heard in web development. The use of Flow Script is very easy and fantastic. But
there is one big
SN> problem for me: It's not possible to use the Flow Script in professional applications!
The reason: There are many, many problems of using Java-Code in the Flow Script.

SN> An example: Why cause the following lines a NullPointerException

SN> function main() {

SN>   importClass(Packages.foo.bar.User);

SN>   user = new User();
SN>   user.setName("Donald Duck");
SN>   user.setPassword("foo");
SN>   user.setActive(false);

SN>   cocoon.sendPage("example.jxt",{"user", user});
SN> }

The JavaScript has the following definition for variable:
var varName = someThing;

Try to use
var user = new User();

SN> and the following - without the user object as parameter for sendPage - not?

SN> function main() {

SN>   importClass(Packages.foo.bar.User);

SN>   user = new User();
SN>   user.setName("Donald Duck");
SN>   user.setPassword("foo");
SN>   user.setActive(false);

SN>   cocoon.sendPage("example.jxt");
SN> }

SN> My JXTemplate looks like the following lines:

SN> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

SN> <header>
SN> <titleTest</title>
SN> </header>

SN>     <!-- commenting this doesn't solve the problem --->
SN>     Name: ${user.name}

SN> The object "user" exists at foo.bar and the pipeline works fine, because I had tested
it with other calls from the Flow Script. And yes, I have already cleared the "works" directory.

SN> But this is not just the only problem. There are many other strange problems using
Flow Script:

SN> Sometimes - not anytime - after an error executing a Flow Script has occured, the Flow
Script file is not longer readable and blocked. Why? Not closed Stream? Only restarting tomcat
solves this
SN> problem.

SN> Using JXForms with JavaBeans containing a String[] Array for example doesn't work.
But there is no error message displayed. System, please speak with me! On the other hand,
using collections
SN> works fine.

SN> Sometimes, after I had placed many Java-Code into my Flow Script, the call of the function
cocoon.sendPage() has no effect. No error message displayed, too!

SN> Has anyone one of these problems, too?

SN> It would be nice, if anyone can tell me how to solve these problems, because I love
the use of Flow Script and I want to use it in all my future applications. But with these
problems, there is no

--
Best regards,
Peter Velychko