cocoon-users mailing list archives

From <Sylvain.The...@swisscom.com>
Subject RE: XMLForm Deprecated?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 07:40:34 GMT
I think about XForm compliance because it's difficult with XMLForm to have a pretty GUI for
users. You have to add lot of things and Javascript code in the stylesheet to improve the
presentation. It's lot of work and the XSLT language isn't very easy. And it's not very reusable.

Do you think that JXForm is better for this point?

Regards
Sylvain T

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
Date: lundi, 1. septembre 2003 17:31
À: users@cocoon.apache.org
Objet: Re: XMLForm Deprecated?

Sylvain.Thevoz@swisscom.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>You're right, deprecated doesn't mean deleted.
>But I'm not really happy because XMLForm doesn't support all the XForm stuffs.
>And JXForm?

XForms compliance is not a goal and is IMO very difficult to achieve on
the server side, the XForms specification being intrinsically
client-side. For example, it defines a lot of event handlers whose
implementation server-side would require a lot of frequent interactions
on the server (think one request a each mouse click in the screen).

For a more in-depth analysis on this, you can read my post comparing
Woody and XMLForm ([1]) which started the current work on Woody :
[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105881304808076&w=2

>Do you have some information about differences between XMLForm and JXForm and how to migrate?

IIRC this is mainly a rewrite of the transformer which is faster and
updated to the latest XForms element names. The main work should be
related to this update of element names. But I'm not the most qualified
person to answer this question and there maybe other people that already
did this migration.

Sylvain