cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Chris Wilkes <cwilkes-coc...@ladro.com>
Subject Proposal for diffs of cocoon releases to save bandwidth
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 02:01:59 GMT
Hi,

  I just downloaded the 2.1.2 version of Cocoon and it weighs in at
34MB.  Comparing with md5sums the WEB-INF/lib/*.jar files to the 2.1rc1
release I find that 54 of the jar files are the same, and that accounts
for 13MB of disk space.
  The largest jar file that's exactly the same is xalan-2.5.1.jar at
3MB, followed by jdtcore-2.1.0.jar at 2.5MB.

  Does anyone think its a good idea to have a 2.1.2-diff-2.1rc1 release
that doesn't contain these 54 jar files?  When building this release you
would tell ant where to copy the files from, or have some environment
variable OLD_COCOON_HOME that it looks to.

  That's just a first pass (and extremely easy to do) at seeing the
similarities between the two releases.  I'm sure there's a diff utility
out there that can do this for comparing two different directories, and
in this case where the sratchpad moved under /blocks/.  In that case the
difference between garbage/Processor.java files is the CVS checkin
version number.

  I realize that I could go through CVS for this, but I would like to
get the latest stable release instead of the developer one.

Chris

2907319 xalan-2.5.1.jar
2457882 jdtcore-2.1.0.jar
1235721 axis-1.1.jar
1041462 apache-garbage-0.0.jar
603351 jakarta-poi-1.10.0-dev-20030222.jar
454985 pizza-1.1.jar
410650 slide-kernel-20030322.jar
363867 velocity-1.4-dev-20030301.jar
274857 slide-webdavservlet-20030322.jar
258393 hsqldb-1.7.1.jar
165119 commons-collections-2.1.jar
161826 jtidy-04aug2000r7-dev.jar
157983 slide-webdavlib-20030711.jar
146452 altrmi-server-impl-0.9.2.jar
143813 jfor-0.7.1.jar
136498 lucene-1.2.jar
133766 excalibur-xmlutil-20030520.jar
126958 jdom-dev-20020131.jar
125869 excalibur-sourceresolve-20030715.jar
125459 logfactor5-1.2.8.jar
124255 spark.jar
117641 excalibur-instrument-manager-1.0.jar
115071 commons-jexl-1.0-beta-1.jar
113853 wsdl4j.jar
105573 bsf-2.2.jar
102781 excalibur-component-1.1.jar
98923 excalibur-logger-1.0.1.jar
89225 xreporter-expression-20030725.jar
86165 logkit-1.2.jar
79952 altrmi-common-0.9.2.jar
79484 slide-stores-20030322.jar
75064 resolver-20030708.jar
72851 avalon-framework-4.1.4.jar
71442 commons-discovery.jar
65948 excalibur-naming-1.0.jar
65425 jakarta-oro-2.0.7.jar
56089 excalibur-datasource-1.1.1.jar
52065 excalibur-util-1.0.jar
44462 excalibur-pool-1.2.jar
40737 excalibur-io-1.1.jar
40069 excalibur-monitor-1.0.2.jar
39735 jisp-2.5.1.jar
35759 axis-jaxrpc-1.1.jar
31605 commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
30117 commons-cli-1.0.jar
25391 jstyle.jar
22179 altrmi-server-interfaces-0.9.2.jar
18501 axis-saaj-1.1.jar
17669 excalibur-instrument-1.0.jar
16530 excalibur-i18n-1.0.jar
15132 excalibur-instrument-manager-interfaces-1.0.jar
8969 xmldb-api-20011111.jar
3106 slide-roles-20030322.jar
2584 altrmi-registry-0.9.2.jar