cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Oleg Dulin <dul...@olegdulin.com>
Subject JXForms vs. Woody vs. KISS
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:35:51 GMT
Dear Fellow Cocoon Users:

I am frequently asked by my peers at work about possible uses for
JXForms and Woody. I've evaluated both and I found that neither is
standards compliant (and please, don't flame me yet, hear me out),
JXForms is deprecated and Woody will not be stable at least until C2.2 .

XForms compliance, at least partial, is very important because we can't
ask the developers to learn a yet another XML grammar when one form
processing grammar is already in the works at W3C. For that matter, I
think it is not a good idea to ask developers in general to learn a yet
another form processing grammar.

So, what is a Cocoon advocate to do ? I was able to achieve adequate
form processing functionality using RequestGenerator,
FormValidatorAction, XSLT, XSLT extensions in Java and very very very
minimal XSP actions. The advantage is that no new XML grammar was
involved except for XSP and the output of RequestGenerator, both of
which are perfectly reasonable as they are very specific to their own
very narrow "areas of expertise."

Another approach is http://sourceforge.net/projects/chiba  which I have
looked at briefly, but found the same flaw as with JXForms and Woody --
a requirement that server side code is written. IMO, the amount of
server side code should be minimized, which once again is possible for
most simple flows using RequestGenerator,Form Validator and XSLT.

Anyway, I am not criticizing woody or JXForms. I am simply seeking
opinions on the subject other than my own. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Oleg
http://www.olegdulin.com/
Personal Software Practices Wiki - http://www.dulinresearch.com/