cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alan <alan-coc...@engrm.com>
Subject Re: WoodyTemplateTransformer vs. WoodyGenerator
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:49:52 GMT
* Mark Lundquist <ml@wrinkledog.com> [2004-02-05 07:19]:

> OK, I am just learning Woody for the first time.  The wiki docs are
> most helpful.

I am going through the same experience. I am recording my
impressions and discoveries in my web log:

http://engrm.com/

We should chatter about our experiences on list. Our back and forth
    might produce some documentation.

    There is plenty of documentation on Cocoon, but I'm finding that
    there are a lot of dead ends as well. In fact, my most recent
    entry discusses this.

> "As an alternative to the template approach, you could also use
> the WoodyGenerator, which will generate an XML representation of
> the whole form, and style that with a custom-written XLST."

> Ah just what I was looking for.
>
> But then I read, "Using the Woody template transformer is much easier
> though."

> Hmm, why would it be much easier?  It doesn't seem like it should be
> that much easier...

My pipelines look like this:

<map:match pattern="hello-world-display-pipeline">
  <map:generate src="forms/view/hello-world.xml"/>
  <map:transform type="woody"/>
  <map:transform type="xslt" src="stylesheets/application/web.xslt">
    <map:parameter name="base-link" value="."/>
  </map:transform>
  <map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>

I know nothing of a WoodyGenerator.

> "This XSLT only has to handle individual widgets, and not the page
> as a whole, and is thus not specific for one form but can be
> reused across forms."  Well yes, but then the template was
> form-specific in the first place, and arguably it was more
> laborious to have to call out each widget than it would be to
> match them in using <xsl:apply-templates>, isn't it?

I am building my own widget stylesheet. I include it in my page
    stylesheets. The templates match using apply-templates. You do
    not need to call them explicitly.

I make a lot of use of the mode attribute to template and
    apply-tempaltes. Have you started playing around with this?
    Using include and the mode attribute I'm getting some pretty
    impressive resuse and modularization in my stylesheets.

> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=WoodyTemplateTransformer has
> this to say: "If you prefer to do everything with XSLT, you have also
> the option of using the WoodyGenerator. In general we recommend to use
> the woody transformer though."  Why is the transformer approach
> recommended over the generator approach?  I don't get it.

Nor do I. Documentation for WoodyGenerator is thin. It looks to me
    like a WoodyGenerator is a way to stream an object of type
    org.apache.cocoon.woody.formmodel.Form. How you get your hands
    on one of those in your pipeline is a mystery to me.

    The above pipeline works very well for me.

--
Alan / alan@engrm.com